KANSAS CITY, Mo. – One of the toughest days of the NFL calendar arrived on Saturday, as teams made personnel moves to get to a league-wide mandated 53-player roster.
The Chiefs announced the release of 20 players to be in compliance. Additionally, Tony Moeaki and offensive lineman Ricky Henry were waived injured.
The players impacted by Saturday’s moves are:
Offense: RB Shaun Draughn, FB Toben Opurum, WR Josh Bellamy, WR Frankie Hammond Jr., WR Rico Richardson, TE Demetrius Harris, OL Steven Baker, OL Tommie Draheim, OL Rokevious Watkins, OL Matt Reynolds
Defense: DL Marcus Dixon, DL Austen Lane, LB Darin Drakeford, LB Orie Lemon, LB/DE Ridge Wilson, DB Malcolm Bronson, DB Greg Castillo, DB Kennard Cox, DB Tysyn Hartman, DB Semaj Moody
Waived/injured: TE Tony Moeaki, OL Ricky Henry
The Chiefs may establish an eight-player practice squad at noon ET on Sunday.
• Tony Moeaki’s talent couldn’t overcome his inability to stay healthy. The former third-round pick (93rd overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft missed time in recent weeks after suffering a shoulder injury during the Week Three preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
• Tysyn Hartman started two games in 2012 and has local ties being a native of Wichita and a Kansas State alumnus. His release appeared to open the door for former Kansas Jayhawks safety Bradley McDougald to survive the roster moves.
• The Chiefs could be hoping Demetrius Harris clears waivers. He’s a prime candidate for the practice squad.
• The Chiefs kept 10 rookies and 23 players are 24 or younger, ProFootballTalk.com reports.
• Roster shapes out as: QB (3), RB (3), FB (1), WR (6), TE (3), OL (8), DL (7), LB (9), DB (10), Specialists (3)
Players express gratitude
Want to give a big thanks to #chiefskingdom It’s been a great ride this past year and am going to miss the many relationships I’ve made here
— Tysyn Hartman (@T_Hart2) August 31, 2013
Well chiefs kingdom, it’s been a pleasure. Best fans. Was starting to feel back to form. Bad timing for an inj. However…Challenge accepted
— Tony Moeaki (@TonyMoeaki81) August 31, 2013
It’s been real KC I’m honestly going to miss this place, the great fans & people I’ve met in my two years here!! Thank God 4 the opportunity
— Shaun Draughn (@2ShaunDraughn0) August 31, 2013