The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame announced Thursday the 2014 College Football Hall of Fame Class. The list of inductees includes 14 first-team All-America college players and two coaches.
Of note among the list are former Chiefs and current Pro Football Hall of Fame members in linebacker Derrick Thomas, who played collegiately at Alabama (1985-88), and offensive lineman Willie Roaf, who played at Louisiana Tech (1989-92).
Thomas was a unanimous All-American and Dick Butkus Award winner at Alabama.
While a Crimson Tide, Thomas established a school record for most sacks in a single season (27) and a career (52). He also set career records in tackles for a loss (68) and blocked kicks (5).
The Chiefs selected Thomas in the first round (fourth overall) in the 1989 NFL Draft, and he went on to become a two-time All Pro and a nine-time Pro Bowl selection.
Thomas holds the Chiefs all-time record with 126.5 sacks and holds the NFL record for most sacks in a game with seven.
Roaf was an All-American and finalist for the Outland Trophy during his season year at Louisiana Tech.
He entered the NFL as a first-round pick (eighth overall) in 1993 with the New Orleans Saints where he spent nine seasons (1993-01). Roaf finished his professional career with the Chiefs (2002-05).
Roaf was a three-time All-Pro, once with the Chiefs in 2004, and an 11-time Pro Bowl selection, including four straight seasons with the Chiefs.
The Class of 2014, as announced by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame:
• DRE BLY – DB, North Carolina (1996-98)
• TONY BOSELLI – OT, Southern California (1991-94)
• DAVE BUTZ – DT, Purdue (1970-72)
• SHANE CONLAN – LB, Penn State (1983-86)
• JOE HAMILTON – QB, Georgia Tech (1996-99)
• JOHN HUARD – LB, Maine (1964-66)
• DARRIN NELSON – HB, Stanford (1977-78, 1980-81)
• WILLIE ROAF – OL, Louisiana Tech (1989-92)
• JOHN SCIARRA – QB, UCLA (1972-75)
• STERLING SHARPE – WR, South Carolina (1983, 1985-87)
• LEONARD SMITH – CB, McNeese State (1979-82)
• DERRICK THOMAS (deceased) – LB, Alabama (1985-88)
• LaDAINIAN TOMLINSON – TB, TCU (1997-00)
• WESLEY WALLS – TE, Mississippi (1985-88)
• MIKE BELLOTTI – 137-80-2 (63 %); Chico State (Calif.) (1984-88) and Oregon (1995-08)
• JERRY MOORE – 242-135-2 (64.1%); North Texas (1979-80), Texas Tech (1981-85) and Appalachian State (1989-12)